Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Tut and Sue at the Field


On December 18th my daughter, husband and I drove to University Park and rode the Metra into Chicago and visited the Field Museum to see the King Tut Exhibit that was ending on December 31. Nothing like waiting until the last minute.

Hubby and I saw Tut in 1977ish when the daughter was almost 3 and I remember that exhibit as crowded but fantastic. It included the piece that would become an icon, his solid gold death mask. That piece is missing from the current show (Egyptian officials won't let it leave the country) but there were plenty of other gems to see. The allure endures.

The bonus was seeing Sue, the T-Rex. She's an amazing acquisition of the Field Museum and something that my grandson is dying to see. The museum wasn't terribly crowded, and was fantastically festive. We were lucky the windy City wasn't all that windy or cold for our quick in and out.

Learn more about Sue: http://www.fieldmuseum.org/sue/




This Pterosaurs soars above Sue at the entrance to the museum.
Photos by my daughter Sarah

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Despite living less than 2 miles from the museum, I didn't go to visit the Tut exhibit.... I kept talking about doing it, but never found the time!