Saturday, October 24, 2009

A week of misery

Hours to go before closing, (9am Monday Oct 26) or so we thought, but it won't happen. We plan to do the walk thru Monday morning and show good faith in our committment to purchase this house we have so much time, money, effort, and emotion tied up in. (Hell, we already have a paid insurance policy on it, not to mention earnest money we put out 6 weeks ago, the inspection fee, attorney fee regardless how this goes down at the end, etc). Anything more required of us by this bank, I'm not in for. This week "I" managed to get my verification of employment for the bank since they couldn't get the job done, even after I gave them the HR phone number. Took me 10 minutes max to call HR, get a letter and scan it and send it to the banker. Then as the week runs out, I find out yesterday morning that the HOA fee is an issue. Apparently the owner never paid his for 2009 (due Jan 1) despite the hounding from his realtor to get it done, and the underwriter and appraiser made it an issue. The treasurer of the HOA, at the hospital with a sick family member rather than at work, couldn't manage to get a signed letter to the realty company for the bank. I had tried to get this HOA Treasurer (an attorney) on the phone a couple weeks back to ask if this had been paid and what the costs were. She refused to take my call, so I brought it up with my realtor and attorney. Not really sure why it bugged me so much, I just had this recurring feeling I had to find out about it. Anyway, it was finally paid this past week, the check has cleared, but the bank demands a letter from the HOA Treasurer stating such. The whole mess should have been nailed down weeks ago, but our loan coordinator apparently isn't doing her job (so says the loan officer we're dealing with). It's all a load of crap and now the whole thing is in jeopardy as our documents expired on Friday and the loan officer got a waiver for them to fly on Monday. If we go to Tuesday, or Wednesday closing, we have to push everything back, cough up new 30-day bank statements, new 30-day paystubs have a new credit report run, etc. The signed letter did get to the bank, but that was very late and on a FRIDAY, so we know we don't close on Monday morning.

To top off the week, our cancer research group came under attack once again thanks to a story in the NY Times. Local media is bound to make an issue as it was already on the local news station last night. Oh the joys of feeling screwed in both ends.

No comments: